Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Computer Case Filter

The number one comment I got on the Custom Computer Case was that it needed a filter.  After opening up the case for the first time after the install,  I would have to agree.  In the short time it was there, combined with the limited about of dust I actually made in that time, there was a surprising amount of dust inside the case.

The objective was to have a system where I can replace the filter with out having to remove the entire case.

3/4" pine stock (left over from another project
Crown Bolt 24 in. x 1/2 in. x 12 in. Plain Metal Expanded Sheet
Cut to Size Register Filter
1" narrow utility hinge
Roller Catch            

Partial assembly of the screen frame.
First I cut 3/4" square strips of pine I had laying around.  I then mitered the edges. 
Close up of the groove for the screen.
The stock pieces were cut to size I ran them past the table saw to create an 1/8th groove to one side of the stock.  This is where I fit the screening.  I cut the screen with a rotary tool and 2 blades.  The screen was eating through blades like crazy.
Shot of the jig I used.
When I first tried to glue everything up I was just going to clamp in each direction.  This proved futile because it just kept slipping each way.  So,  I had to create a jig to hold the pieces in place.  I put paper towel down so that I didn't accidentally glue the frame to the jig.  I also put glue in the groove for the screen to secure the screen in place.   Once I let it set up the frame was very strong.

Screen installed.
Here you can see where I placed the hinged.  They are attached to the ledge that was already incorporated in the design of the computer case.  You will notice that the screen doesn't completely cover the left most fan.  This is because that portion of the fan is actually blocked by the leg of the work bench (bottom left of the picture).  So that fan is not as effective as the others.  In retrospect I should have accounted for this, but it's really not that big of a deal.  There is still plenty of air flow.

Here is a shot of the roller clasp.  This is what I used to ensure that the screen stays shut.  It's very secure.  Almost too secure.  It is somewhat difficult to open the screen door.

Screen closed with filter material in place.
As I mentioned before, you can see that the hinges are mounted to the face of the ledge .  Therefore,  I had to remove some material with a rotary tool from the ledge under the bench (It wouldn't fit underneath).
Other Notes:
I had to use multiple filters.  One filter was not large enough.  In the future I will for larger filter material.

Future Enhancements:
Things Learned:
Always use some sort of jig when joining things on an angle.
I should get a grinder if I plan on cutting metal again.


No comments:

Post a Comment